Lest you think that we here at Let Them Eat Vinyl are only about music, let us reassure you that we are also very well versed in the matters of the heart. In fact, we are currently lounging at LTEV headquarters drinking red wine, listening to Serge Gainsbourg records, and making out with each other.
In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, we got to thinking about famous/infamous partnerships in music. Here, a roundup of celebrated musical couplings:
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Even though their passion burned brightly, in the end these couples just couldn’t go the distance:
- Mick Jagger & Marianne Faithfull – He was pretty, she was pretty, but it wasn’t meant to be
- George Harrison & Patti Boyd – Boyd left Harrison for Clapton
- Eric Clapton & Patti Boyd – Boyd left Clapton for Harrison
You Give Love a Bad Name
Rock & roll’s most dysfunctional relationships:
- Ike & Tina turner – Domestic abuse is always tragic, but fortunately Tina got the last laugh
- Liam & Noel Gallagher – Taking sibling rivalry to the extreme
- Phil Spector & rational thought – PHIL: “Should I pull a gun on John Lennon?” PHIL’S BRAIN: “I can’t see any reason why not!”
Love is the Drug
Co-dependent much? Famous junkie relationships in rock & roll:
- Steven Tyler & Joe Perry – Heroin, rehab
- Kurt & Courtney – Heroin, suicide
- Sid & Nancy – Heroin, homicide
It’s a Family Affair
Groups famous for their inter-band relationships:
- Fleetwood Mac – Between Lindsey & Stevie, Stevie & Mick, and John & Christine Mcvie’s divorce — it’s a wonder any music was getting made at all.
- The Mamas & the Papas – Look, I’m sorry, but if I were around back then I would have run off with Michelle Phillips too. She was SO PRETTY.
- The White Stripes – The self-proclaimed brother and sister were actually ex- husband and wife. An intriguing yet confusing ruse.
Let Love Rule
Because it’s not all dysfunction & hearbreak:
- Paul & Linda McCartneyy – You guys, they were only apart for like 8 days during their entire marriage. That’s devotion.
- John & Yoko – Two wacky kids who were perfect for each other. Only an assassin’s bullet could keep them apart.
- Bruce Springsteen & Patti Scialfa – Okay, so their relationship started out as adultery, but these two have been together for twenty years & counting.
Now, dear readers, you tell us:
Who’s Your Valentine?
Let Them Eat Vinyl’s Celebrity Crushes:
For me it always has been & always will be Paul Simonon of The Clash. He had incredible style and attitude. And oh yeah, he was SUPER hot…
Seventies-era Stevie Nicks. I couldn’t stop looking at the front cover of Rumors and the picture of her in the inside sleeve. She sorta had a Farah Fawcett thing going on for me, but with that haunting voice.
And you, sweet reader? Who’s your valentine? Can be anyone past or present, dead or alive (hey, if Mozart rocks your socks, who are we to judge). Tell us all about it in the comments! We absolutely will not think any less of you (unless you are over the age of 12 and pick Justin Bieber).
February 15th, 2011 at 1:59 pm
LOVE IT! Especially love “and making out with one another.”
My celebrity crush? Jack White. And I’m straight.
February 16th, 2011 at 12:32 pm
Janis! Nothing held back. A song and a life that could break your heart.
March 7th, 2011 at 3:23 pm
yeah, amazing voice. we’ll definitely be reviewing a book about her sometime soon!